Saturday, July 24, 2010

My first blog!!!

So I am finally doing this. I have debated, thought about and pretty much gone over and over all the reasons I can't do a blog and finally here it is. I am excited about being able to share my food and recipes ( pictures will come soon promise). I am just figuring this all out so I am sure there will be kinks. I have so much fun and love cooking with fresh ingrediants and am lucky to have such an appreciative family when it comes to my food. All of my food is vegetarian with a vegan slant but meat eaters always gobble it up so I can assure you that you don't have to be vegetarian to appreciate the recipes I will be sharing.
Today's recipe is one that I use whenever we want something brunchy on the weekend and have lots of individual things to use up. I call it Hash and around here it doesn't last long. The basic premise is to add together veggies, a protein or two and fry it all together and serve in burrito wraps. I am lucky to have a friend who shares her leftover CSA with me and so I find myself with one squash, one jalepeno, a sweet potato and some inspiration. The recipe follows:

Hash: ( today's version)
1 microwaved sweet potato diced
1 italian squash washed and diced
1 can chick peas drained
1 block of extra firm tofu rinsed, drained, patted and cubed ( small cubes)
white corn ( 2 ears off the cob or small bag of frozen)
smoked paprika
powdered garlic
salt/pepper
onion powder
liquid smoke ( mesquite or hickory)
In a pan heat olive oil, add sweet potato and squash cook for a few minutes then add your tofu, chick peas and corn. To this add the seasonings, a couple of dashes of liquid smoke, about a tablespoon of smoked paprika and then the rest to taste. Fry up for around 10 minutes the chick peas and tofu will get a little crust on them and you are good to go.
I make a "sour cream " sauce that is yummy on this :
vegenaise, splash of lemon juice and garlic powder. Mix up and we served ours on Garden of Eatin whole wheat tortillas.
The smoked paprika makes it so good. You can also chop up jalepeno or use some hot sauce if you like a kick. I am the only one in my family who does though.
I will get some batteries for my camera and start adding pictures. If you saw this you would KNOW you HAVE to eat it but just reading the recipe doesn't do it justice. Trust me it is GREAT!
Thanks for reading my first post. Comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment